Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Making Lemonade

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life
has given them vodka, and have a party. "

- Ron White

It's been almost a year and half since i went down the rabbit hole into the morass of uncertainty and doubt that comes with job loss.

I'm glad that I'm in a job now where I enjoy the people around me, and where I feel I can grow in my career and still balance everything else in life - family, school, travel, etc.

During this whole time, my family was very supportive of me, which I desparately needed.

Unfortunately, it's now time for us to deal with the doubt and uncertainty again, this time with the roles reversed. Downsizing has affected many companies, and unfortunately Kim's company made the decision to drastically cut back.

Last year, I was the one who needed others to be strong; this time, it's my turn to be the strong one. While we have some uncertainty about what will happen now regarding future work, schooling, planning for our future, and so on, it's good to know that downsizing des not mean fault, or blame. In Kim's case, she was highly regarded as a top performer, a team player, and a great resource and friend, and her company is going to regret not having her around anymore.

Hopefully, there will be better opportunities right around the corner, but in the meantime, we'll batten down the hatches just as we did last year. We'll get through this, even if we're not entirely sure how at the moment.

We'll figure out a way.

No comments: