Thursday, August 30, 2007

Strong Effort

15 of us showed for the trial this morning at the police station. It was weird getting the looks from folks headed to the courtroom, wondering why there were a bunch of us in workout/athletic gear.

Trial 1: Vertical Leap. Had to do 16.5 inches - jump up, hit a stick, same as the NFL Combine. I cleared it at 21.5 inches on the first try.

Trial 2: Sit-ups, 27 in a minute. I started out strong, but couldn't get all the way there on my 23rd. I would get another chance after completing my runs, though. I was able to do it last week and earlier this week, so I thought I'd be able to get it the second time.

Trial 3: 18 push-ups in a minute. I cleared it in about 30 seconds. I guess lifting the small weights while at the computer, writing, or playing poker helped a bit.

Trial 4: 300 meter print in 68 seconds. I struggled a little, but managed to make it in a little under 66 seconds. Very close, but I made it. I was trying to pace myself and not burn too much energy before the long run.

Trial 5: 1.5 mile run in 15:20. This was the one I had always worried about. I started at a moderate pace, but got tired much more quickly than I had previously. I'm not sure if it was because the sprint took more out of me than I thought, or pressure, or humidity, or what. I did finish the run, but in 16:59.

Not...even....close.

11 passed the exams today, and four did not. I was unfortunately one of the four who did not.

Still, I probably can be proud of even coming this far. A month ago, I could barely run 1/4 mile. Today, even though it was a slow run, I did slog through a mile and a half after the other trials were completed.

Who knows, in 6 months (when the application process opens again) I could have a much easier time of it. Besides, I did make it to the final 25-30 out of 133 applicants and managed to drop 15 pounds in a month.

I should be proud of that.

In the meantime, I'm off to have a Wendy's triple burger meal and a coke float. I have been CRAVING that for days. Besides, I already did my daily workout, and I think I deserve it.

2 comments:

TSL said...

Well, Mikey, you made a valiant effort at this, and you deserve a LOT of credit for it.

That being said, both reasons of both YOUR safety--as well as that of the people of Cobb County, GA!--thank goodness this is now over!
;-)

APOSEC72 said...

It still would have been nice to, you know, PASS.

I can always reapply in January, too. Of course, things may change dramatically between now and January.

Youneverknow.