Saturday, August 18, 2007

Aftermath

I feel shakier after this year's football draft than I have about any other in a long time. There were 14 picks before I made my first one, and then thanks to a trade I didn't have a pick for another 20.

Still, I think I managed OK. I have a lot of sleepers, but I don't need them all to work, just one or two.

I started with keepers at TE (Antonio Gates), RB (Frank Gore), and WR (Reggie Wayne). My plan was to get a decent RB or QB, depending on how the draft went. As we approached my pick, I thought I might be able to get Thomas Jones with my pick - but he went one prior. That made my decision between Portis, Cadillac, Marshawn Lynch, and Vince Young. Since I had issues with all 3 RB's, I took Vince Young, and said a prayer that the Madden Jinx wouldn't hit this year.

I then sat back and watched a lot until it came time to pick again two rounds later, and managed to snag Hines Ward - and I'm happy with him as a #2 receiver.

Here's how it ended up:

QB: Vince Young, Trent Green
RB: Frank Gore, Jerrious Norwood, Ahman Green, Brandon Jackson
WR: Reggie Wayne, Reggie Brown, Hines Ward, Jerry Porter
TE: Antonio Gates, Heath Miller
D: Miami, Green Bay
K: Jason Hanson

There might be a lot of weeks where I start 3 WR's. I feel the RB slot is a bit weak, but any one of the last three could have a bust-out year. However, Young at QB might help the running stats a bit. If he gets hurt.....well, I will be in some trouble, because Trent Green may be serviceable but is nowhere near an elite QB.

Thoughts?

In unrelated news, I'm watching the kids right now, and just saw Robert De Niro on Sesame Street. Talk about strange......

No comments: