Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day of Reckoning

Well, it is almost here.

I got the call on Friday that my physical exam for MPD was scheduled for this coming Thursday, at 8:30 AM.

So, I think it's time to take stock to see if I'm prepared.

Push-ups (18) & Sit-ups (27): Was meeting the standard as of my Friday workout, but wasn't able to meet them today. I didn't do very much on Saturday and Sunday, and that probably set me back. I should be able to meet it come Thursday, though.

Vertical leap (16"): Was never in doubt, but have been trying to do more stretching and jumping exercises the last couple of weeks snice it'll help for running.

Sprint (300m in 68 s): Was having trouble, but finally managed to break through Friday, coming in under 60 seconds on GSU's track. It REALLY felt good.

Long run (1.5 mi in 15:40): Still having trouble on this one. I was able to walk-run/sprint for a little over 2 miles, but there wasn't a stretch longer than 3/4 mile of pure, normal-speed running. I'm finding I'm starting out too fast, but given my lack of fitness I need to start out somewhat fast so I have a cushion as it goes longer. It's still a crapshoot whether I can meet the time, but the odds have gotten more in my favor.

Overall, when I started this a month ago, I weighed 246 pounds, the most I'd ever been. My goal (ambitious as it was) was to get down to 220. I didn't make it that far, but as of now it's showing as 232, so that is 14 less pounds of (mostly) fat I'm not carrying around anymore.

It's a start. Maybe with another month I can get down to 220, though with classes underway it might be a little more difficult.

Hopefully good news will follow on Thursday, because I'm still long overdue on a batch of it.

No comments: