Thursday, October 26, 2006

Balancing everything in life

Read this article, figured I'd link to it on Conservative Match. It's about balancing everything in life - work, home, travel, more work.

I also realized that, one month from yesterday, my leave will begin from work. It will be an interesting but good time. No, I won't be getting any sleep. Yes, I'll probably be worrying about anything that isn't absolutely perfect. But most importantly, it will be good to spend more than a couple hours each evening at home. On class nights, I'm not getting home until 10:30 when it is past a little one's bedtime.

For the most part I enjoyed being on leave a couple years ago with Alex, so hopefully this will bring about the same enjoyment and happiness.

It'll be good R & R. I know changing ten diapers a day and not sleeping more than a couple hours at a time isn't the traditional vacation, but it'll still be a good time to be, for lack of a better word, happy.

That way after eight weeks, when I do return to work, it'll take me a while to get stressed out again.

In other good news, I got my first grades. Two B's, though one may become an A once I finish a work project - hopefully it will be two good results from one project!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro, I want to see you do better than B's. This is grad school, and I have every expectation even with your hectic life that you should get more A's.

And eight weeks off is freaking sweet...

APOSEC72 said...

If one is changed to an A, then that would be just fine with me. I don't have the expectation of a 4.0. B's and B+ are just fine with me, considering how rough my grades ended at Emory.

I think it will be, once I complete this project for work. I just need two more datasets and I should be able to complete it.

I'd be quite happy if I ended anywhere from a 3.3 to a 3.5.

The eight weeks will recharge my batteries at the same time that I won't be getting any sleep to charge them in the first place. We'll just have to stick solidly to one important rule - when the baby sleeps, we sleep.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with TSL here. Grad school grades are a whole different thing than college grades. An occasional B is okay, but it's generally an expectation that you will get A's.

I remember in my first semester of GS I received 2 A's and a B and thought I did great. Over time I'd realize that B was almost like a C or worse. I think with business school it's not quite the same thing, so a 4.0 is not necessary, but the GPA expectations should be higher here.

Just a word of caution, that's all.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Paul is right. It's actually especially that way in business school:

A - expected
B - the equivilent of a C
C - you really failed

The one A- I got so far was low enough for me to blow a gasket, because the professor didn't give anyone in class an A. That's outrageous.

Bottom line, don't fret, but your buds just want to see ya excel.

APOSEC72 said...

I definitely understand where you're coming from on this one. I'm just looking at it this way because:

-it was my first semester back
-there was enough other crap going on to drive me completely insane
-problems on the days of the final exams (not written about here)

Given the way the classes unfolded, I am quite happy about a 1 B and 1 A given the rough waters.

Looking at how this current class may unfold, I may have a good shot at an A - I'll be writing about that tonight if the project I think I have to do actually is the project I have to do, because of prior experience.

I wish I did get two A's, but considering the circumstances, I will take the B. For now. Next semester - I wouldn't be happy with a B.