Friday, May 23, 2008

Falling Down

After the nice finish on Tuesday in the BoDog Blogger tourney, I have had one of the worst runs of bad luck I've every had on the virtual tables.

Whether it's rivered straights or just plain bad calls, I've been taking a whacking, and it's ot a lot of fun.

In thinking about it today, I think it's best if I take a little time off from the VIRTUAL felt. Aside from Tuesday's BoDonkey, I don't think I will be playing in anything at all for the next week.

Of course, there are a few other reasons for this as well. The most notable reason is that we will be having company starting on Sunday.

I've been trying to prepare myself, but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that my father will be flying into Atlanta on Sunday. The doctors have decided to proceed with radiation and chemotherapy, possibly simultaneously. Without it, they guess he has six months. With it, who knows, but I guess they think it is ultimately treatable (otherwise they wouldn't go ahead with it).

However, they've advised against doing anything strenuous once he starts radiation therapy, including having visitors come out to Phoenix. They would prefer he take visitors or make visits/travel plans before starting the radiation treatments in early June, so he is going to come east for eight days...starting this weekend. I'll be picking him up Sunday afternoon at the airport.

Nervous doesn't quite begin to cover how I'm feeling about this visit. Hopefully it goes well instead of devolving into a yelling match whenever we've been together for more than 24 hours at any point in the last fifteen years.

Regardless, we have a lot of items to discuss and plan for, regardless of how well we get along, so it will be better if I try to stay purely analytical whenever possible (like at a poker table) and not go on tilt (as seems to happen lately at the virtual felt).

Thankfully, there's a game I'm going to before he gets into town. Hopefully, that will be adequate relaxation for me prior to the home invasion.

No comments: