Saturday, May 17, 2008

Economic boozing

One thing that I never understood, in retrospect, was how someone with almost no income could be an alcoholic.

Growing up, I had parents that were severe alcoholics. When I moved down here, I thought it odd that liquor stores did not deliver - the one by our house would bring by deliveries more often than the pizza store.

Looking back, I always wondered how they could afford it, without working too much and/or being perpetually hurt.

Well, I think I finally figured it out today.

I was waiting for Kim and the kids off Paces Ferry, in front of a package store. I was waiting for a while, so right before they pulled up I bought a fifth of my favorite.

Now, while many consumer products have been affected by rising oil and commodity prices, apparently alcohol was not one of them. It cost $5.79.

That's less than a double quarter pounder meal at McDonald's.

So, if you substitute a bottle for a meal, then I guess it would work, in a way. Of course, you also have to account for the diseased liver, kidneys,and everything else as a side cost.

Thankfully, I like food much more than alcohol, and I'm quite fond of my liver to decide not to drink to the extent they ever did. But it was an interesting thing to think about.

1 comment:

TSL said...

It's not something anyone likes to think about, but yeah, if you start to sacrifice food or other normal goods, alcohol becomes easily affordable.