Saturday, December 29, 2007

Struggles with Donkeys

I wrote in July about the law passed by the Forida legislature allowing higher buy-ins for poker games in Florida.

Now allowed are 2/4 limit and 1/2 NL games with a max buy-in of 100. The games would almost certainly be more lively, considering the reputation of no-fold-em-hold-em.

I got my first taste tonight, at the Seminole Hard Rock. I sat at a 2/4 for about 90 minutes, and saw some crazy things.

Capped pre-flop, flop, and turn betting - with 4-7 people in play - and the winning hand being the fourth-nuts.

Hands such as 9-3 calling two and three bets, preflop, and somehow winning.

Basically, the strategy is to see a lot of cheap flops and start playing after the flop if you hit it hard, and don't bluff. Ever.

The best hand I saw all night was pocket nines - which lost to a pair of queens with a crap kicker on a Q-5-4 flop.

However, I did have some nice takedowns. A queen-high straight, aa nine-high straight (from a suited connector) and wueens up managed me to leave with double my buy-in.

So, the winning streak of live poker wins continues. Five, and counting. I just wish I lived closer to a poker room so I could make it a more regular occurrence, since it's the only thing earning me decent money nowadays.

No comments: