Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Playing Tag Again

OK, here goes, the latest meme (whatever happened to chain letter?):

7 Things About Me You Might Not Know

1) I had my first drink at 15 when I went to the local bar with my father. It was a Budweiser. Thankfully, my tastes in alcohol have improved since then. Besides, if you're going to learn how to drink, it's probably best someone who knows how to drink does the teaching. Plus, I got to see numbers and football picks get run from the Irish bar to local "benefactors".

2) I almost never came to Atlanta. My last two picks were Emory and NYU, so I almost stayed in New York for college. Things would have been quite different if I'd stayed in New York.

3) Unlike a lot of other people, I did not play poker in college. I've actually only been playing about 4 years by now.

4) Growing up, I wanted to be a policeman or a lawyer, because I had people that stepped in as substitute parents in a way and one was a policeman (and my confirmation sponsor) and one was a lawyer (who helped out a lot in high school after my mother died). Of course, I ended up becoming neither and I'm now stuck in a craptastic job. Yippee.

5) I almost transferred from Emory three times. The only time it almost actually happened, though, was toward the end of my sophomore year, when I almost transferred to Loyola University in New Orleans. I just realized this weekend that first visit to New Orleans took place over ten years ago, so I guess the love affair with the city has been going for a while.

6) I have never lived outside of Eastern Time. I've lived in New York, then Atlanta, Long Island, Decatur (GA), Brooklyn, and back to Atlanta. I didn't really decide to make Atlanta living permanent until the end of 1998, as I had a rough summer in New York - crappy work, broke up with my then-girlfriend, broke my hand, weird Goth-y roommates, got mugged, and just didn't really have fun that summer. I think that's what made me decide it was time to leave New York for good.

7) I have traveled over 40,000 miles for my fraternity activities. I've been to five national conventions all over the country (Minneapolis, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Denver, and Louisville), and a whole bunch of other conferences. I've presented and taught workshops and worked with chapters in 13 different states, from Georgia to New York to Texas to California. Through my life, I've been to 20% of the counties in the United States (and if you want to find out how many you've done, click here.)

Well, that covers me. I hereby tag CrankyCon and GSB.

No comments: