Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Stay off drugs

I wasn't planning on writing anything about hockey for a while. Even moreso, I wasn't going to write any stories about Islanders because, well, they are a laughingstock and I'm in the camp of another non-playoff team in the Thrashers.

But this story is too hard not to acknowledge:

DiPietro's record 15-year deal will pay him $67.5 million

Not one year. Not five years. FIFTEEN YEARS!

For a goalie who was only 30-24 last year with a save percentage of only .900 and a goals-against average over 3.0.

For a goalie with a career record of 58-62-8.

And yet some people wonder why the franchise is a laughingstock.

Nice job, Garth. Way to control the pocketbook, Chuck.

No wonder Computer Associates was knocked over by the SEC.

Somewhere, Neil Smith is laughing his ass off right now.

2 comments:

TSL said...

I am, of course, going to attempt to write my own little ditty on this matter. After I take an extra set of meds and calm down.

I'll just add that, thankfully, now we won't have to hear tales of Charles Wang wanting to hire a sumo wrestler to man the pipes.

Yes, that did happen.

APOSEC72 said...

Did the sumo wrestler only get offered an eight-year deal?