Monday, September 11, 2006

Quote of the year

Maria Sharapova, answering a question after winning her second major Sunday at the U.S. Open:

"I believe, at the end of the day, personally, my life is not about a banana."

Wow.

I'm still in shock that for an early match, she decided to just wear the little black cocktail dress WHILE PLAYING THE MATCH.



This might be the only case I know of where one can go from playing in the game straight to the party without having to change clothes.

Cocktail dresses, loud grunting, and bananas. Women's tennis - catch the fever!

2 comments:

Jeff Briscoe said...

She made this statement satirically when questioned about alleged coaching from the stands about eating a banana during a break in play. Coaching in any form is NOT allowed in tennis, except for Davis Cup matches which naturally are team play. Apparently her coach signaled to her to eat and drink when she looked like she was winded. Funny way to avoid answering the question!

BTW, she also wore the black dress when she won in the finals too.

APOSEC72 said...

I know - the last couple pictures I saw were from the finals, I forgot to change my wording.

It's still a heckuva statement.