Wednesday, July 26, 2006

New trade rumor

I don't know if I like this, but it's now floating around:

Wilson Betemit to the Yankees for Scott Proctor.

Apparently it showed up in the Post this morning.

I don't like this deal. Betemit can play 2B, 3B, SS, and is entering his prime. Projected out over 600 AB's, his season numbers would be .284/27/88 and a healthy dose of steals. I don't think giving him away for a mid-grade reliever is a great move, especially one that was showing a dead arm before the All-Star break.

I understand the need, but I'd rather trade Giles, LaRoche, or another AAA-prospect than Betemit.

Besides, I'd rather not see Betemit in pinstripes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, they were saving Betemit to trade for . . . Denys Baez.

Wow. That's . . . what's the word? Awful.

So, which one of you lucky Braves fans gets to play third base today?

TSL said...

Yeah, I just don't understand that one. I guess he's better than Scott Proctor, but Danys Baez? For a prospect that shows a little spark and with Larry Waybe injured again? Just weird.