Thursday, July 20, 2006

FINALLY!

THE BRAVES MADE THE MOVE!!!!

Braves trade prospect for Indians closer Wickman

This is the move they needed to make. This is the move I've been saying was needed for months. This is the move to shore up the bullpen that the Braves have needed to make all year.

Even better, they did not have to part with any player on the 40-man roster or a top prospect.

Without this move, the Braves had no chance at the playoffs. Now? I'm inclined to believe they go gonzo to make it. I would not be surprised to see another trade for a starting pitcher, dangling Giles or LaRoche to get him. Perhaps, say, Barry Zito, to reunite him with Hudson?

They are five back of the wild card, but if they beat up badly on the Phillies this weekend, they could be as little as two back. They do still have a lot of teams to leapfrog, but having someone dependable at the end of the game to seal the deal will be worth every penny. I know Wickman isn't what he was, but he is still a huge improvement over Ray, Sosa, Reitsma, and the rest of the motley crew that's been trotted out so far to blow 20 saves.

It's. About. Frigging. Time. Now, there can be some hope. I feel much better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob Wickman - he of the 4.18 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, and 1.4 K/BB ratio - is the guy that propels a move to the playoffs? I'm actually more inclined than others to think that the Braves have a shot at the WC, but this is not exactly sending down my spine.

APOSEC72 said...

A sinker-ball pitcher, in a pitcher's park and not Jacobs Field, with average numbers in said bandbox, is a major improvement over what's been trotted out over the first 90 games. It is a BIG difference.

I'm not saying he's an A-list closer, but a B-lister is still a big improvement over the gopherballers of late. With Wickman in the 9th to take that pressure, Ray can pitch the 8th, and the rest of the pen can take better, lower-pressure roles. It resolves everything.

Anonymous said...

True, it's an improvement (perhaps). I would just be wary of Wickman at this point. Maybe he's got enough left in the tank to carry the pen the rest of the way, but I've never been particularly enamored of his capabilities.

Jeff Briscoe said...

Wickman's a huge improvement. Screw his ERA, WHIP, etc. I could care less when I've seen their closers blow saves at better than a 1 of 2 ratio. 15 of 18 save conversions. That's the only number that matters.

And they got him for an A ball catcher? And he's on a 1 yr contract so no commitments if it doesn't work? Great move!

And, Mikey, I just want to remind you that, no, you haven't been saying they needed this move all year. You did say that for 2 months. But then you said "blow it up" for a month.

I'm glad Schurholtz and the Braves have more faith and patience than you! I like what I see from this team. They're building it back up the right way.

BTW, the Chippers haters are quiet lately? When David Wright ties a 70 year old hitting record, let me know. When he wins an MVP, a World Series, and is a 5 time all-star, also let me know. Wright's got great potential and I like his game. But there's only one Chipper, baby!!! :)

TSL said...

I hear Melido Perez is available, too...

Jeff Briscoe said...

The 1995 Yankees did have a brilliant late season run go from sub .500 to winning the wildcard. And that was the year they called up a young Panamaian named Rivera to spot start and eventually anchor the middle relief of the bullpen along with Big Bob Wickman. If only this year's Braves should be so lucky!

APOSEC72 said...

True. I did say blow it up, because there was no reason to hope for a move by ownership to improve the club, and it made no sense to continue as the team was constituted.

I'm glad the team made moves to improve, and that I was wrong about the direction they would want to take.

Jeff Briscoe said...

Bob Wickman did not improve this club. He may. But he hasn't even played yet. Nor has any other "move" improved the club. No, the Braves finally playing like the Braves have improved this club. Patience, my friend. There's still a smart part of you who thinks like a NY fan every once in awhile - yikes!