Saturday, April 29, 2006

Oh, Seven, and we'll watch them fall

I promise, that is the only Prince reference.

Did I say 6 games back last night? My mistake, That should be 7 games back.

a 1-0 game Braves loss to the Mets (along with 5-2 last night) shows just how many needs this team has. Hitting is still not there, bullpen is having trouble keeping games close. The starters in both cases have done admirably, but not enough.

I think it is safe to say....uh oh.

Just finished watching 10 hours of NFL draft coverage. I'm still as mad as I was at 12:30 regarding the Jets. But, I feel much better about the Falcons. Full grades coming tomorrow night, since there are still 150 picks to go - not even halfway through the exam yet.

And now, to watch the Clippers playoff game. Which is still a weird sentence to write. Even weirder that they may win the rest of the games in this series, now that I've heard about Kenyon Martin's hissy fit and team suspension for the rest of the series.

Lakers-Clippers second round matchup? Perhaps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the AP wire report on tonight's game:

The Braves have lost five straight, their longest losing streak since dropping six in a row from Aug. 8-14, 2001. Atlanta (9-14) is five games below .500 for the first time since June 24, 2004.

Like I was telling you earlier today, Mike, as discouraging as their start is, it's also not without recent precedent. How quickly you forget! Don't give up. I think a decade and a half worth of quality baseball deserves some confidence.

Yeah the Mets are good. But we're also not as bad as you suggest. The Braves bullpen has actually been strong. Villareal, Cormier, Remlinger, and Ray have looked good so far. They are all finding their identities and will be solid if only we can establish/trade for a real closer.

The starting pitching has also been good for 10 or so games now. Even Thomson (who you can't stand) was strong tonight and has a mere 1.32 ERA. The starters got off to a miserable first couple of weeks but have stepped it up lately (but please let Horacio Ramirez just go away for good).

Now if the bats would only wake up?!? But I think they will. And that will tell us if they can step it up and compete or not. And let the Mets win the division. If it means the Braves can take the WC and win it all (like the 1997 and 2003 Marlins did to us - or even like the 2000 Mets did going to the WS), I'd be just fine with that!

Paul Zummo said...

I'm still waiting for the e-mail update of how that weekend series went. What, no taunting e-mail this time around? Did the Braves not win this series?

And Jeff, World Series? At this point, the Bravos are closer to the Marlins then the Mets. I'd keep your eyes on that pesky triple-A club in Miami before I talk about World Series appearance as a Wild Card.

Actually, I should be quiet. I'm going to the game at Shea on Saturday, and slotted for that appearance . . . Victor Zambrano. Grrrr.

APOSEC72 said...

Let's see - I'd said they would probably go 7-6 in the two Braves series and the WC swing.

They went 7-6.

Braves-Mets split the series, 3-3. Which isn't too bad.

I was not counting on the Braves getting swept by the Brewers. Guess Milwaukee might be that good after all.

Not a good finish to April, but not as bad as could be. Aside from the Brewers series, was mostly what was expected.