Friday, March 17, 2006

What we learned from Day 1

1) Always pick a 12 over a 5. We had two of them today: Texas A & M over Syracuse, and Montana over Nevada.

2) I hate Rocky Top. Especially after they escaped against Winthrop, even though I picked them to win. No matter, I picked them to lose against Wichita State in the second round so it's still on track.

3) It would have been nice if Southern could have pulled off the 16-1 upset given that they are a New Orleans school. Still, a decent showing for a little more than half the game. LSU did move on, though.

4) Don't live blog when there is someone in the house with a circular saw, plywood, and grout. (But, the ceiling is fixed, and I don't have a view of the attic anymore.)

5) The SEC isn't so bad as we thought, going 4-0 with Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, and Florida wins, against the "powerful" Big East's 0-3 from Syracuse, Marquette, and Seton Hall. Who's the power conference now?

6) Stick with the first bracket. I went a paltry 9-7 today, already losing 3 Sweet 16 teams (Marquette, Syracuse, Pacific).

Well, tomorrow is another day. Actually, I guess that day is now today. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Have a drink or eight to celebrate.

4 comments:

TSL said...

Well, it should come as no surprise that I watched exactly *zero* of the tourney yesterday.

Of course, tonight at 7:25pm will be a much different story. Get ready for the first 16-over-1 upset in NCAA history! LET'S GO DANES!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Almost, but not quite. Good showing by the Danes....much better than Francase's pick Kansas. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

I've had a good first round. Picked 24 of the 32 games correctly. And 15 of my sweet 16 teams are still alive. I've only lost Syracuse so far, who I had losing in the sweet 16 anyway.

That said, I am ranked 87,920th on Yahoo. Out of what, I'm not sure? But it must be hundreds of thousands since it's free. The 9 leaders hit 30 of 32.

APOSEC72 said...

21 of 32 right, one of my worst showings ever. I don't think I've ever had my champion pick bounced in the first round. Until Friday.

I don't feel so bad now that they took out Pittsburgh too.