Saturday, March 18, 2006

Poker odyessy begins anew....

Some of you know that I enjoy poker. I mostly go to Full Tilt Poker's website to play, as they have a lot of freeroll games, not just actual money games. I used to do just ESPN Poker Club, but ESPN was having too many problems with other parts of its site (like fantasy football, accessing older articles) so to heck with them. CBS and CNNSI have better sites anyway.

Returning to the topic....

Given my recent success in satellite tournaments, I decided to attempt the pay tournaments as well. I did not do very well to start out, and lost about 35% of what I started with. I only cashed in one tournament out of seven. Not a good ratio and a good way to bust fast (considering the one I won was the smallest stake.)

I decided to try the ring games - these are limit tables, so there is a set amount to bet each hand, not like TV where someone can push a few million chips on one hand with high drama. As I'm not too adventurous, I stuck to small-stakes tables.

Last time I tried this, I got smoked very quickly, so I've been hesitant to do so again.

This time? Doubled up in two hours from my reduced position, won a bonus, and got two qualifiers for second-level satellite tournaments. Also got into a tournament this Sunday where the total prize pool is pretty darn big. Not an entry into the WSOP, but a pretty good prize as long as I'm in the top 27 out of about 150. Very good prize if I make the last 9, last 5, or win.

Fingers crossed, hoping I don't fall on my face. I just hope I remember how to do tournaments by then! I also hope I'm done mowing the lawn by then too - can't do it tomorrow so I have to wait until Sunday. Tomorrow is an appointment with a dog, vaccines, and a bath. That will be a fun car ride!

No comments: