Thursday, June 15, 2006

Obituary time

I didn't want to write this post.

I've been trying to avoid it for several days.

I even said earlier on the phone to someone that I wasn't ready to write this post.

Then I tuned in tonight.

I'm ready to write it now.

The Braves are toast.

THERE, I SAID IT.

Braves lost last night against Florida, and had a three-run lead late in the game. Bullpen blows the lead in the 8th. Braves load the bases with 1 out in the 8th but can't push anyone across after an Andruw Jones and Jeff Francoeur strikeout. In the 10th, the bullpen blows it with a base hit, a HBP, and a throwing error that allows the winning run to score.

I don't think I have ever seen the Braves look so out of sorts. I haven't seen Bobby Cox look that way too often (in the regular season) either, but tonight he looked llike a doddering old codger who had no clue what was going on.

So, it's time to write this post. After losing 13 of 16 games, falling 12.5 games back in the division into 4th place, and 8 games back in the wild card. With a record better than only three teams in the National League. While sitting only two games out of last place. And after seeing management continue to sit on its hands and better a team that clearly needed help.

The Braves are not winning the division. And they won't be winning the wild card. I said at the beginning of the year they could win 88 games. It appears they may instead lose 88 games.

On the bright side, the Braves pplay the Red Sox this weekend. I think I may have to put something down on the Sawx for those games.

At least I'll have enough time Sunday to watch the game in a sports bar during the three-hour layover in Newark. Because there's nothing better than spending an afternoon of your life stuck in an airport in New Jersey.

Whoopee.

You may commence gloating in the comments.

No comments: