Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tough Pick

Well, Mardi Gras ended yesterday, and today is Ash Wednesday.

For the first time in several years, I actually made it to church to get ashes. All four of us received ashes at Christ the King, since they had an evening service (which was packed, standing room only, overflow into the parking lot.) Perhaps it was because Archbishop Gregory was there, or perhaps a lot of folks did a lot of sinnin' and needed to start repenting badly.

Also, for the first time in a while, I decided to actually try to give something up for Lent this year.

Not food. Or alcohol. Or poker. Or snacks.

Swearing.

Looking back on the just completed road trip to DC, it seemed as though I ended up swearing quite a bit, whether it was because of running late, stupid drivers, or something else. Considering how high my stress levels and blood pressure have been, and the fact that Alex is being much more of a parrot lately, I decided it was a pertinent feat to attempt that may have some good beyond only myself.

Of course, we'll see how well it holds up over the next 46 days.

No comments: