Monday, February 12, 2007

A new voice for Online Poker?


According to Billrini.com and other sites, PokerStars, Full Tilt, and the Poker Players' Alliance have found someone to lobby the cause of millions of poker players.

Former NY Senator Alfonse D'Amato.

Now THAT's more like it.

I'm feeling much more optimistic than I have at any point in the last few months since that slimeball Frist snuck the UIGEA into the Safe Port Act. Between this and some Democratic members seeking alternative measures, I'm finally feeling a bit better. Not great, just better.

And really, who DOESN'T like the guy? Even when he lost to Sen. Putzhead, he was still a pretty likeable guy.

2 comments:

Jeff Briscoe said...

I sense a measure sarcasim in these comments. Actually, I've always liked Al D'Amato. He was a good Senator, pretty solid on the issues (less so on social conservatism, however) and seems like he'd be a great guy to have in a regular Friday night game -- actually, I think he's been a part of Howard Stern's poker game over the years.

However, in terms of being a reputable spokesman, I'm not so sure about that one. Scandal followed him around his whole career from the Senate reprimand for using his influence to send govt contracts his brother's way, to the fake Lance Ito Japanese accent, to mocking Jerry Nadler's girth, to his ridiculous public daliances with Claudia Cohen, etc, etc.

So while Al is a likeable guy, his picture also isn't too far from the dictionary definition of political sleeze. Not sure he's the way to clean up the image of a interest group who has already been unfairly targetted.

APOSEC72 said...

Actually, it is sarcasm-free. I like having someone who's been around be their representative, and I thought of him as a fairly solid guy.

BEsides, I'd rather have someone like him than a bible-thumping evangelical representing our interests. Look how that turned out.

Off to bed...