Sunday, April 20, 2008

I hate writing these kind of posts

Well, I was hoping that I wouldn't hear any more bad stories for a while, but I guess that is not going to be the case.

I found out while speaking to my father today that I now really will have to worry about genetic history even more than I already did.

Apparently, in assition to the emphysema and heart disease he already had, he's now been diagnosed with lung cancer. He started coughing some blood, and well, that's a problem. With everything else in his history, they did some checking, and voila.

Should I be surprised, given 40 years of drinking and smoking? Not really. I expected it to happen eventually. I'm surprised he made to 70 given his history.

Does it mean I'm ready for it? Not really.

Because of the heart disease and blockages, doctors may not be able to perform a PET scan until they can insert a permanent stent to clear the blockage, or worse, perform bypass surgery.

Then, they'll know how far it has spread, if it is operable (probably not), and any other options that might even be possible.

So, that means that in the last year, we've had scares of colorectal, breast, and lung cancer within the family.

That's three, OK? These things are supposed to happen in threes, that's three, we can stop now.

Fucking A.

No comments: