Monday, November 12, 2007

Decisions

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post detailing a new possible job that looked extremely likely to happen. The more astute readers will realize that the post disappeared the day after I wrote it.

I took it down due to some complications arising with the position. Well, it now appears it's not too likely it will happen after all. Some things came up and it may not end up working out after all.

So now what? And why have I been barely posting for the past couple of weeks?

I did mention that I was taking tax classes for the past few weeks. However, a new opportunity might make itself available. There are two franchises within a few miles of my house which might be available for purchase at reduced rates, so it might be possible to own and operate one of those franchises at a discounted rate because the current owners want to get out.

I don't know if I'll able to pull off such a purchase. Since it's already November, I'd have to move fast to ensure a good flow of customers come January 2, and a good staff to handle them.

One interesting point, though, has arisen: In order to receive the UFOC (basically, a standard franchise offer), I'd have to attend one of their one-day gatherings this week, as well as a week-long stay in Virginia for all new franchisees in December.

There are only two sessions left, and I'd have to attend one of them to be considered.

One is in Dallas this Saturday, but I can't get a Skymiles flight or a Hilton or Holiday Inn room for my points so that won't work.

The other is on Friday in a city I am quite familiar with, and there ARE flights available that I can use my mileage (shockingly, because they are almost NEVER available). I'm trying to determine if I can do a hotel room, as I don't know where in the city the gathering would be......but I do love going there and there are rooms in Summerlin or Henderson, so it might work......



So, if any of you Sin City readers happen to be reading this, I might be dropping by your lovely town for a very, very short stay.

Hopefully, I can get some sort of good news about either franchising or the other position by Wednesday, as that's when I'd have to book the flight out.
If bth options fall through, I still have the option of working a lot of hours preparing returns during the season while taking a lot of classes (and maybe finishing the MBA in 2008 instead of 2009) and resuming a search in May when the Spring term and Maymester end.

I haven't mentioned my classes lately, so now's as good a time as any. I have 3 classes with A- or A and one class which is probably a B. Hopefully, the B will improve greatly with a final group presentation and final exam. I'm signed up for a whole bunch of classes next semester and will drop some of them depending on however I set my work schedule but it could be anywhere between 6 and 18 hours.
Bottom line: everything is just as crazy as it has been for the last several months, and I still have no idea what's going to happen next, and I'm still hoping things turn around for the better.
Keep your fingers crossed.....I'm hoping the merry-go-round stops soon and things get to an even keel soon so I can have some direction about what's next.

No comments: