Sunday, February 05, 2006

Adventures of Being a Klutz

I was meaning to make this the first post, but better late than never.

A couple of weeks ago, we are putting away Christmas Decorations and moving them up to the attic. Considering we started before the Super Bowl that's progress.

I'm bringing a couple of heavy boxes into the attic during halftime of the NFC playoff game. I open up the attic doors and begin to walk inside with the boxes.

While MOST of the attic floor is hardwood flooring, the very front of it was not completed by the previous owners, who decided to just lay down particle board. This isn't so bad if it is just a person walking on it - but when that person is carrying 80 pounds of Christmas items, it's not very good.

I take a step into the attic, thinking my food is landing on the hardwood part of the floor. Nope. It lands on the particle board - for about half a second, before it BREAKS the particle board, goes thr0ugh the insulation, and through the plaster known as the living room ceiling.

Thankfully, my other leg decided not to follow through down to the living room - but instead went out at a 90-degree angle.

Thankfully, there are no incriminating pictures of my leg sticking through the living room with a dog underneath, furiously barking at the intruder. I'd probably bark too if weird thing like body parts started falling through the roof too.

We've got a temporary fix up with some hardwood covering the hole. For now. Hopefully we can plaster it up this week. I'm just glad we've had a run of 60-degree plus days so that we haven't had to run the heat very much, with a 1.5 ft by 1.5 ft hole in the ceiling.

Thankfully, no other injuries - except my pride.

1 comment:

TSL said...

I can't believe I missed this story all weekend! Awesome, and I can completely picture it in my head! :-)

BTW, if it makes you feel any better, I almost went right through the insulation in my aunt's attic (and perhaps through the garage ceiling and smack onto the hood of my car) about a year ago. Gotta learn to WALK ON THE BEAMS!