Monday, June 12, 2006

Back to School

On Saturday, I sat down for my first class in over seven years.

At 8 AM we had BA 5000, which was essentially an introduction and orientation for Robinson students. Thankfully, I actually arrived on time for the class, so I suppose that puts me one step ahead of my undergraduate days.

There were about 100 other students in the class with me. The majority were around 28-35. There were a couple folks who were fresh out of college and a couple of more seasoned folks, but mostly around my age. One surprise was that there was such a large international contingent - probably 15-20 people. In introductions, I'd say there were about 10 people from banking & financial services companies - I had expected a lot more.

It felt very odd sitting in a classroom again. Considering I'd spent several years vowing never to return to student life, I'm now much more interested in what is offered. I guess I needed a break and needed to mellow out a bit first. It did finally hit me, though, that I was really going through with this and that going back to school wasn't such an abstract concept anymore.

Now I just have to actually work this time through school, as just coasting through classes won't cut it this time around. At Emory, I could get away with BS'ing through a Classics course - I'm pretty sure I can't screw around with these classes.

On the bright side, at least I'm finally going to a Division I school (for basketball, at least). Considering Georgia State's made the NCAA tournament a few times recently.......

1 comment:

APOSEC72 said...

Second masters? No thanks. Still Columbia or elsewhere?